Saturday, July 21, 2012

Taper

It is hard to believe that this time next week I will be in San Fransisco getting ready to run 26.2 miles. The last week has been hard for me from my demanding work schedule to trying to taper and get enough sleep each night. I was looking forward to the tapering process, but it is pretty hard to adjust to the reduced mileage. I cant believe I just wrote that! I am having other issues with this whole tapering thing as well such as none of my clothes fit again! They are all too big. I think the last month of runs made me shape up more than I realize and all the toning has created some extra space in my clothes. I need to buy new clothes again but the thought of it scares me. Will I stay this size or will I go back to my old size. I can't get any smaller or I will be shopping in the little girls section. One thing is for sure I have already committed myself to two more marathons after the one next week, so I have a feeling my size will stay the same.

I read an interesting article on tapering. Here are a few of the comments.

You know you are marathon tapering when......

•you're cranky from not running
•your friends/significant other/co-workers run in the opposite direction when you mention the word "marathon"
•you're convinced you've gained 10 pounds since you started tapering ( I feel like I lost 5 pounds)
•you feel sluggish and like you could run forever...all during the same run
•most of your Facebook updates are marathon-related
•you research celebrity marathon times to see what famous people you could beat
•every little twinge makes you think you've got a race-ending injury
•you've tried every race time prediction calculator on the Internet
•you feel tired during a short run and start wondering how you can possibly do 26.2


These ladies are my inspiration when it comes to running. I know that I will never be at their level, but I know anything is possible and they are proof of that!


No comments:

Post a Comment